This is the rookie debut of my MX career...lol This is Race 1 of the CALVMX vintage motocross series. Never been to one of these races so I had no idea what to expect. Was I going to get the evil eye from the older guys? Were my bikes up to par? Were they considered a joke? Was I going to look like a circus act on the track? I had no idea what I was doing. This is what I parked next to.
Probably the most custom "vintage" bike I have ever seen. DKW tank, Yamaha 100cc tricked out motor, custom swing arm, modern forks, some super trick shocks, the airbox was carbon fiber, disk brakes....the WORKS!! Right than I though I may be in way over my head, bike wise and skill wise.
Never the less, signed up, got my membership, and started wondering around and checking out the dirt floor museum of vintage bikes. Everything from what looked like museum quality restorations, to total customs, to pieced bikes pieced together from all the best parts of the day. Everyone I spoke with was really amazing. Nothing but good advice and great stories. Lots and lots of friendly people just looking to have a good time and continue their passion for vintage bikes.
Did I mention I have never raced before? Luckily my bikes, because of year and my skill level, were placed in the first and last race. being first I had no clue with how good or bad I would look compared to everyone else. The series is setup for 8 races to cover all the classes and bikes, and 2 motos each. Each moto had 6 laps, than you waited for the next series of 8 and jumped in when your class comes on the line. The first race was on the 86 YZ250, lucky for me because it gave me a chance to get more familiar with the track, and the brakes work a LOT better than the 74 so I could push it a little more. As far as never racing, I had no idea what I was doing on the starting line. The start was a line drawn in the dirt, and a flagger about 50 yards away. All I knew was the guys around me had engines screaming waiting to drop the clutch and take off. Flagged dropped and I can see the smoke come pouring out the back of my bike. I am still not sure if that was a jetting issue or what, because it never happened again. The only thing I kept thinking about was "Race yourself," and don't worry about everyone around you because they maybe on a bigger bike or a higher skill level. If that was the case I could get myself into a lot of trouble. The other thing was "To finish first, you must first finish." That one kept me from just pinning it around each and every corner or jump. Honestly I was so into just trying to be smooth and stay upright, I couldn't tell which jump I was on most of the time, and what gear I needed to be in to clear it. I was just trying to stay in one piece. I think I did 5 of the 6 laps before the leader crossed the finished and we were brought in from the track. Good times!
The last race was on the 74. I realized how much different the bikes were riding them back to back. I almost have to jump up and over to get on the 86, and the 74 I just threw my leg over and sat down on the bike. I also have to remember to get all 15 horsepower out of this bike it has to be screaming! The start went the same as on the 86, I kept to myself and just tried to stay upright. The first big tight turn I forgot the brakes on this bike are almost non existent, and I have to use every ounce of strength in my hand to make it do what I want. After almost blowing the turn and flying over the burn, I was able to readjust and remember to use both brakes much harder than a modern disk brake bike. Than I was around corners more like a dirt tracker. Luckily I stayed up and didn't crash, suspension worked ok as I didn't chip any teeth or bruise a kidney. Another good race for me.
When it was all over I had a blast. Heard a lot of familiar names from the glory days. Saw some incredible riding from these guys. They were pushing the limits and probably surpassing them on some of the older bikes. Most of the looked like they should have been in a museum, but they beat on them like it was the race of their lives! I was just blown away with the skill of a lot of these people. Met a lot of great folks, and think I am addicted.

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment