There is no way I was going to survive just riding and racing the 74 YZ. It is jsut to brutal to ride for an extended amount of time, especially on track designed for more modern bikes. The vintage bikes were never designed to take serious jumps or whoops, so you will be bruised and battered on some of the tracks. So I opted for another ride that was a little more modern and plush, but still had a class in the series. I found an 86 YZ250 that needed a top end, and was in decent shape.
Other than the piston and rings being shot, torn seat cover, and painted radiator shrouds it was in good shape. So i tore into it getting it ready to race. If anything it gave me something I can push a little harder on and be able to develop a little more track skill than I could get from the 74.
Here is how the build went.
- Seat cover
- Rebuilt and rejetted the carb
- New top end and honed cylinder
- New water pump impeller and oil seal
- New clutch cover gasket
- Ebay special front brake caliper and master cylinder
- Rebuilt the front end
- Ebay special front number plate
Fairly easy and straight forward. I am also able to ride this bike at Pala Raceway, which is only a few minutes from my house. So I can get some more seat time on that bike than I could on the 74. Pala is not a vintage friendly track. The bike ran great for what it is. I just wanted to get something to run in another class and see how I stacked on a more modern bike, which if I made a mistake would be a little more forgiving.
Off to the races!!
No comments:
Post a Comment