Well Race number 2 was not nearly as nerve wracking as the first one. I had a much better idea of what to expect and what I was capable of. Still ran the 74 YZ, but this time brought along the newly aquired 89 ATK 604. This put me in the sportsman 125 class, and the GP3 500 class. I have never been to Glen Helen Raceway before this time, and it was mind blowing. The facility was enormous, and the tracks were huge and carved right out of the hills. This was a lot different than the tracks I was used to. My local tracks are flat and they build the jumps out of piles of dirt they truck in. Glen Helen used the natural terrain and dug the course right out of the hills. Lots of elevation changes, and blind turns. I was used to seeing turns or jumps coming up a few hundred feet in advance. Some of the course at Glen Helen went up, down, around hills, and you had to remember what was around the bend or over the hill to know how fast or slow you should be going. It was pretty intimidating for me being a new rookie racer.
There were a lot more people who showed up to this race than did at Milestone as well. More die hard vintage racers, and more amazing vintage bikes. This is what I saw when I showed up.
Thankfully with me this time was my wife Candace, who was my drink holder, cheerleader, photographer, and pit crew.
The racing was just as intense as the first time, except this time it involved more speed due to the size of the track, and my first experience with a starting gate. I pretty much just let it fall all the way and probably a second or two after everyone took off, I was off. I felt more star struck as I saw a lot more familiar names line up, and a lot more very rare motorcycles getting involved.
I didn't do to bad either. I actually got first place in my class, novice GP3 500, but lets just not mention that I was the only one in that class. I was also super excited to get a great CALVMX 1st place shirt out of the deal.
All in all a GREAT day of racing. I had some issues with the YZ in the second moto, but I believe it was partially gearing, and me trying not keeping the bike screaming in the powerband heading up some of the steeper hills. So those issues will be resolved and ready to go next time. I will miss out on round 3 at Milestone MX, but will be back at Glen Helen for round 4. New brakes and sprockets on the YZ, and a much smaller and better suited MX tank and seat on the ATK. Should be a lot more fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment